How do I order statements on my closed credit card account?

Statement copies are available for seven years. Here's how you can request copies:

  • Digital banking: If there's still a balance on the closed account, you'll have access to your electronic statements. 
  • Phone call: Cardmember Service at 800-285-8585. We accept relay calls. 
    • By fax: All we need is the fax number to send them to and you should receive them within two business days. 
    • By mail: We can mail them to the address on file and they should be received within 10 business days. 
  • Visit a branch: You can schedule an appointment or stop by whenever it's convenient for you.
  • Mail a written request to:
Cardmember Service
PO Box 6352
Fargo, ND 58125-6352

Additional information:

  • Once a statement is ordered, it can't be cancelled. 
  • Braille statements are available upon request. 
  • Statements older than seven years are not kept on record, therefore they're not available to order. 
  • The two most recent statements are free. Requests for statements older than two months and less than seven years will be charged a document/copy fee.