What if a Zelle payment is sent to the wrong person or for the wrong amount?

If you inadvertently sent money to a recipient, you didn't intend or for the wrong amount, here are some steps you can take:

  • If the recipient has not claimed the money, you can cancel the payment through digital banking.
  • If the payment is accepted (i.e. completed) or you can't contact the recipient to retrieve your funds, you can file a dispute.
    • To get started, call us anytime at 800-USBANKS (872-2657). We accept relay calls.
  • If the amount sent is less than what was intended, you can process another payment for the difference.

It's always a good idea to double-check the validity of your recipient's information before sending a payment with Zelle®. See Avoiding fraud and scams and How to Pay it Safe with Zelle® to learn more about sending funds safely.