How do I use your automated phone system to get a replacement debit card?

We've recently enhanced our automated phone system. Now you can order a replacement debit card and report your card as lost or stolen without the need to talk to a banker.

  1. Call 800-USBANKS (872-2657) and follow the prompts to verify your identity.
  2. After that, select the checking account the debit card is tied to.
  3. Say "replace my debit card".
  4. Tell the automated phone system if your debit card was damaged, or if it was lost or stolen.  
  5. If you have more than one debit card, select one you want replaced.
  6. Enter your billing ZIP code.
  7. The automated phone system will review the order with you. Say "replace" to approve your order; or "cancel" to decline.