What should I do if I'm a victim of identity theft?

If you're personal information has been compromised, we recommend the following actions:

  1. Let us know as soon as you can. We'll review your account(s) for any suspicious activity. 
  2. Place a "fraud alert" on your credit bureau file with the credit bureaus. 
  3. Create an "Identity Theft Complaint/Affidavit"* with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) to document the issue.
  4. File a police report.
  5. Save your Identify Theft Complaint/Affidavit and police report. Combined, they become your Identity Theft Report. Some of the companies/financial institutions you deal with may want to see it.

More information

*To submit an identity theft complaint:

  • Contact the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline at 877-IDTHEFT (438-4338).
  • File your complaint online at The Identity Theft Complaint prints in a legal format called an "affidavit." After you submit your complaint online, print a copy. You may need to reference it later.

For more information on how to address identity theft, visit our:

Request a free consumer credit report by visiting You're eligible to obtain a free consumer credit report once every 12 months under federal law. Please be aware doesn't provide free credit scores; you must purchase them.

If your personal information has been compromised related to human trafficking, we can help. See: How do I dispute an item on my credit report related to human trafficking?