How do I submit a credit limit decrease for a secured credit card?

You can decrease the amount of your secured card easily. Since your Secured credit card account has a deposit to secure the credit limit, we'll need a written request to make changes. If you'd like to proceed, follow these steps:

  1. Prepare the request in writing and include the following information: 
    • Your first and last name
    • Mailing address
    • 16-digit credit card number
    • Dollar amount of the decrease in $100 increments
    • Your signature
  2. Mail or fax your request to us for review:
Cardmember Service
PO Box 6363
Fargo, ND 58125-6363
Fax: 701-461-3635
3. You can call the phone number on the back of your card.

Your request will take anywhere from 7-10 business days and up to (2) two billing cycles to complete your request.  We will then mail a check for the decreased amount.

The secured credit card limit will be the same amount as your total initial deposit, with a minimum limit of $300. The balance on your secured credit card account cannot be more than the given limit.

If you have any questions, please call us at 800-285-8585. We accept relay calls.