What to do when a loved one passes.

During this difficult time, you deserve quality service from a company that puts you first. That’s why U.S. Bank is dedicated to settling your loved one’s affairs in an efficient manner.

What can you expect?

  • A single point of contact to walk you through the entire resolution process.
  • A team of specialists who regularly handle situations like yours.
  • Compassion and professionalism: We endeavor to always treat you with understanding and respect.

How to get started

Visit your local U.S. Bank branch or call 24-Hour Banking at 800.USBANKS (872.2657). We accept relay calls.

Documents you may need

You’ll need documentation to get started. Consult this list for reference and connect with our specialists for further advice.

You will always need:

  • Valid ID (one of the following)
  • - State driver's license

    - State ID card

    - U.S. passport

    - Military ID

    - U.S. alien registration card

  • Proof of death - Original or certified copies of the death certificate are the most commonly accepted forms of documentation.

To obtain information about your loved one's accounts, you need:

  • Available documentation detailing any accounts held with the bank.

Examples include: outstanding U.S. Bank bills, past statements or letters

  • Documentation that shows you have authority to act on behalf of your loved one's estate. For example, court documentation appointing you as an executor or a small estate affidavit that authorizes you to claim the property of the deceased.

*** Testamentary documentation (like a last will and testament) without a court appointment is not sufficient to obtain information or take action on an account. Consult a legal professional to determine the proper course of action and appropriate documentation.

Other things to consider

Additional documentation:

Consult a legal professional and/or your U.S. Bank specialist regarding additional forms of documentation. Here are some items you may be asked to provide:

  • Death certificate (multiple copies).
  • Last will and testament - If needed for an attorney or the court, you may need to provide the most recent last will and testament or other relevant trust documents.
  • Documentation regarding authority over your loved one's estate - Documents that show who has authority to act on behalf of your loved one's estate or otherwise claim the property of the estate. For example, probate documentation appointing you as an executor or a small estate affidavit that authorizes you to claim the property of the deceased.
  • Available bank or other financial statements/documentation.
  • Insurance documents - Including beneficiary information.
  • Outstanding bills - Including auto payments not yet posted to bank accounts.


Third parties you may need to contact:

You may be asked to contact the following organizations. Consult with your legal professional and/or U.S. Bank specialist to determine the right course of action.


Equal Housing Lender, Member FDIC.

Skip Navigation: Internet Banking Login

Your browser's version is not compatible. Please upgrade your browser.
Cancel Icon

Unsupported Browser

Unsupported Browser

We've detected that you are currently accessing this site using an older version of Internet Explorer. We have not designed this site to support older versions of Internet Explorer. Therefore, you may encounter issues with how the site is displayed and how you can navigate through the site when using this older browser. We highly recommend you upgrade your current browser or download a new version of a different browser.

Upgrade Internet Explorer

Alternatively, you may want to download a new version of a different browser: