Automated Investor is a digital investing service that makes goal-based investing easier. This service, backed by a team of financial advisors and investment research professionals, selects personalized investments based on your retirement goal. You can track your progress online anytime, and get help from U.S. Bancorp Investments Investment Advisors by phone 24/7 should you have any questions or need help.
- We invest your money based on your goals.
- Our target portfolios are constructed by our investment professionals.
- Automated monitoring and rebalancing helps keep you on track, and attempts to limit market risk.
Easy and convenient
- Automated Investor is easy-to-use and accessible on any mobile device.
- Access all your accounts together at usbank.com.
- Easily move money between accounts.
Value and premier service
- Our lower cost investment advice, low fund fees and dividend reinvesting could potentially mean more money at retirement.
- We’re always here to help. Get 24/7 customer service from a wealth management professional.
Consider these common reasons to invest with Automated Investor:
- You want help investing your money.
- You want expert advice, and prefer to manage your finances online.
- Your life is busy and you want to know your investments are being monitored.
- You appreciate the value of a low-cost and tax-efficient approach.
- You have multiple investment accounts and want to get organized.
- You’d like to see all your banking and investment accounts in the same place.
- Experience: U.S. Bancorp Investments has a long history of superior wealth management, investment and financial industry experience.
- We believe in doing the right thing for you and your family.
- Transparency and ethical decisions are at the core of everything we do.
When you open an Automated Investor account, you can conveniently and securely link brokerage accounts at other financial institutions so you can access all your investment accounts at usbank.com using the same log in credentials. This allows you to see your full financial picture – your everyday bank balances along with your investment balances in one place.
Plus, you can invest confidently with Automated Investor – our investment philosophy is designed by investment professionals who have hand-selected investments from thousands of options to become part of the personalized portfolios created for you.
Automated Investor uses these 4 best practices to help you reach your retirement goal:
- Asset allocation – Your funds are invested in a mix of assets appropriate to your time-horizon, risk tolerance and goals.
- Automated portfolio rebalancing – We periodically rebalance your portfolio if it has shifted away from its target asset allocation by selling assets that have become too large a part of the portfolio and investing in assets in an underweighted asset class.
- Invest idle cash – Cash that isn’t invested may underperform compared to funds that are invested. Automated Investor ensures that idle cash is invested and working for you.
- Low-cost investment vehicles – Cost-efficient Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)1 ensure that more returns go to the investor by paying less in fund fees than what the majority of mutual funds charge.
To open an Automated Investor account, you must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, be at least 18 years old, have $10,000 or more in investable assets, have a valid Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number, and have a profile at usbank.com. Automated Investor may not be the best choice for investors who are in or near retirement.
$10,000 is the minimum investment to open one or more Automated Investor accounts. If opening more than one account, e.g. a traditional brokerage and an IRA, the amount invested between the two accounts must total $10,000.
Yes. A traditional brokerage account can be jointly opened and owned by spouses/partners.
In addition to traditional, taxable brokerage accounts (individual or joint), Automated Investor accounts can be opened as Individual, Roth, Rollover and/or SEP IRA accounts. 401(k) accounts may only be included if you are no longer employed by the plan provider.
Automated Investor invests mainly in low cost ETFs from as many as 12 different asset classes from the list below. These funds are carefully selected for performance, diversification, and cost.
- US Large Cap Growth
- US Large Cap Value
- US Small Cap
- Developed Foreign
- Emerging Foreign
- US Real Estate
- Foreign Real Estate
- High Yield Fixed Income
- Foreign Fixed Income
- Emerging Market Fixed Income
- Core Fixed Income
- TIPS (Treasury Inflation Protected Securities)
Automated Investor charges a 0.50% annual advisory fee on all assets under management, billed quarterly. That’s only $12.50 per quarter on a $10,000 investment. This fee covers all transactions, trades, transfers, rebalancing, advice and account administration. No additional fees are charged to buy or sell securities. Fund level fees go directly to fund providers and neither U.S. Bank nor U.S. Bancorp Investments receives any part of these fees. Please review our pricing section for more details.
Try it free for 90 days – Your free trial period lasts 90 calendar days and begins on the date of the first trade in your account. You may call to cancel at any time
Simply select the ‘Get started’ button for Automated Investor from the online dashboard at usbank.com. Here’s what you can expect:
Tell us about yourself
We’ll design a personalized investment plan around your financial situation, retirement horizon and your tolerance for taking on investment risk – this is the basis for determining your target portfolio of investments.
Get a quick snap shot of your retirement projection
Based on your inputs, you will immediately receive a target portfolio – this portfolio contains a mix of assets best suited for your stated retirement horizon and investment risk tolerance. Once your account is open and funded, your money will be invested accordingly.
A retirement projection, based on your initial investment amount, can help you understand how much money you could have in retirement, based on our model that projects market growth over time.
Choose how to fund your new investment account
Whether you want to use cash, transfer existing accounts, or both, we want to make it as easy as possible. Simply identify the accounts you want to transfer by logging in to those accounts through our secure portal and selecting them from the list. Our smart technology will determine which accounts are eligible and how to best leverage tax-advantaged accounts where possible.
Complete your application
After you’ve determined the accounts you’d like to transfer and /or the amount of cash to include to fund your new account, you’ll be asked to complete an account application and sign any relevant account transfer documents. Don’t worry, this is standard operating procedure.
If you get hung up at any point, we’re here to help. Please call us at 866.758.8655, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Your money is now invested – check your account anytime, on any device
Once your application is processed and your accounts or cash are transferred, your money will be automatically invested in your target portfolio. At this point you’ll see your investment account balance on your dashboard at usbank.com. When you access your Automated Investor account, you will see your balance, recent transactions and other information about your account. Each week you’ll also receive an email summarizing your portfolio performance.
If you are unsure about your level of risk tolerance, simply select the ‘I don’t know’ option in the risk tolerance drop down on the first page. We’ll take you through a few questions to help you determine the appropriate risk tolerance for your goal. You can update this risk tolerance at any time should your preferences change.
- Your login credentials for usbank.com
- Account numbers and online login credentials for accounts you are planning to transfer from other brokerages
- Account numbers for funds you are planning to transfer from other banks
- For joint accounts, your spouse/partner’s Social Security number
To see if Automated Investor is a good choice for you, consider taking advantage of the free ‘Analyze my portfolio’ option on your personalized portfolio page to compare how your current investments might perform if you invested them in your personalized portfolio. This step requires providing information on some, or all, of your existing assets. We’ll create a comparative analysis of how your current investments are likely to perform versus how they would do with the recommended allocation.
You can fund an Automated Investor account online using any combination of these options:
- Convert an existing U.S. Bancorp Investments, Inc. account
- Transfer an external brokerage account
- Invest cash from checking, savings, or money market account(s)
- Transfer cash from a brokerage account (must be of the same account type and ownership)
I completed enrollment for an Automated Investor account. When will my account be traded? shows details
Once your enrollment is complete, we’ll analyze the assets you’ve chosen to include in your account to determine what’s needed to achieve the target investment allocation for your goal and risk tolerance. Once the account is funded and this analysis is complete, trading will begin in about 2 business days. We’ll notify you by email when trading is about to start in your new account.
Managing your Automated Investor account
Automated Investor uses a proprietary algorithm that looks for drift in your portfolio over time and rebalances positions periodically to maintain the target asset allocation. Also, if you make changes to your plan, such as your retirement date or risk tolerance, the algorithm will adjust your asset mix and investments accordingly. If you have questions or need assistance, you can call a U.S. Bancorp Investments Investment Consultant at 866.758.8655.
If there is $500 or more in cash in your account, it will be invested to help ensure your money is working hard for you. Note: When cash is at least $250 but less than $500, trades may be executed in your account, but only if those trades bring you closer to your target allocation.
How do I add money to my Automated Investor account? Can I set-up a regular, recurring transfer of funds into my account? shows details
You can add funds on a one-time, recurring or future-dated basis by using the transfer money feature in Online Banking. Alternatively, contact a U.S. Bancorp Investments Investment Consultant at 866.758.8655 for assistance. Once there is a minimum of $500 deposited, the funds will be automatically invested within five business days.
Following the initial rebalance, we continuously monitor your portfolio. Accounts are rebalanced when your assets drift outside their target allocation, or when life events cause you to alter your investment profile, risk tolerance, or retirement plan.
Once your account has been rebalanced, we’ll send you an email that your rebalance is complete and you’ll be able to view the new investments in your Automated Investor account online.
You can update your plan anytime by signing into usbank.com online and selecting the ‘Automated Investor’ link below the account name and number. From the Automated Investor dashboard, select the ‘Edit Assumptions’ box under the projected balance. There, you can update your retirement age, risk tolerance, income and marital status. Changes may result in an adjustment to your asset mix and investments.
To make a withdrawal from one of your managed accounts, you may either use the ‘Raise cash for withdrawal’ option in the Automated Investor account dashboard (non-IRA accounts only) or by contacting a U.S. Bancorp Investments Investment Consultant at 866.758.8655.
View your account statements online at usbank.com by selecting your Automated Investor account in ‘My accounts’ and visiting the ‘My documents’ tab. If you have additional questions, please contact a U.S. Bancorp Investments Investment Consultant at 866.758.8655.
Can U.S. Bancorp Investments assist me with tax planning for my Automated Investor account? shows details
No. Please consult with your personal tax advisor regarding the tax consequences for your specific situation. References to tax-advantaged strategies that Automated Investor employs in managing accounts do not constitute tax advice. Neither U.S. Bancorp Investments nor FutureAdvisor, a BlackRock subsidiary, provide tax advice.
Important note: References to tax efficient investing in Automated Investor do not constitute tax advice. Neither U.S. Bancorp Investments, Inc. nor FutureAdvisor, a subsidiary of BlackRock, provides tax advice. Please consult with your personal tax advisor regarding the tax consequences of investing in the context of your individual situation.