U.S. Bank Visa® Check Card FAQs
What is a U.S. Bank Visa Check Card?
A U.S. Bank Visa Check Card can be used anywhere Visa is accepted including millions of retailers, ATMs, online or over the phone. The transactions are always withdrawn from your U.S. Bank Checking account.
How do I use my U.S. Bank Visa Check Card to pay for items?
At time of purchase, simply swipe your U.S. Bank Visa Check Card and choose to pay with your PIN or sign for your purchase.
How do I activate my U.S. Bank Visa Check Card?
Your new U.S. Bank Visa Check Card and Personal Identification Number (PIN) will arrive separately in the mail for your security.
If you use Online or Mobile Banking, you can activate your check card immediately when it arrives:
- Log in to Online Banking, and select Customer Service OR
- Log in to Mobile Banking, select the More Menu -> Go to Self Service
If you don't use Online Banking, you can activate your check card after your PIN arrives by doing one of the following:
- Make a deposit or withdrawal at any U.S. Bank ATM1
- Call us toll free at 800-236-3838
- Bring your check card to any U.S. Bank branch, and ask your banker to activate it for you
Also, consider enrolling in Online Banking once your PIN arrives. It’s free, secure, and lets you bank when and where it's convenient for you.
What is the difference between a PIN purchase and signature purchase?
Use your card however you choose. Once card is swiped, either choose Debit and enter your PIN or choose Credit and sign for your purchase. PIN purchases give you the option of receiving cash over your purchase amount at the register. This is only allowed if the merchant chooses to participate.
Why should I use a U.S. Bank Visa Check Card over checks or cash?
With a check card you can:
- Pay fast and easy; simply swipe your card and enter your PIN.
- Manage your money; purchases are always withdrawn directly from your checking account.
- Track transactions and balances easily…online or on your mobile phone.
- Have peace of mind knowing your are protected with zero fraud liability1, which means you won’t be held responsible for any unauthorized purchases made with your check card.
- Never pay late or miss a payment by automatically paying all your bills with your card.
Can I use my U.S. Bank Visa Check Card to get cash?
Yes. Receive cash at any ATM or by performing a purchase with your PIN Cash over transactions are only available at merchants who choose to participate.
What if I lose my U.S. Bank Visa Check Card?
If you lose your card, just call 800-USBANKS or visit any U.S. Bank branch to request a new one.
What if there is a transaction on my account that I don’t recognize?
If there is a transaction that you don't recognize, please notify U.S. Bank by calling 800-USBANKS or visit any U.S. Bank branch.
Does my U.S. Bank Visa Check Card have a daily purchase and ATM withdrawal limit?
Yes, there is a daily purchase and ATM withdrawal limit. Please log in to Online Banking and click on your check card on the Account Summary page to view your limits or give us a call at 800-USBANKS.
Are U.S. Bank Visa Check Cards safe?
Yes. If your U.S. Bank Visa Check Card is ever lost or stolen, you are backed by zero fraud liability1, which means you won’t be held responsible for any unauthorized purchases made with your check card. If your card is ever lost or stolen or a fraudulent purchase is ever made, call us immediately and have your card closed.
More tips on fraud protection »
How can I track my U.S. Bank Visa Check Card purchases?
There are several ways to track your U.S. Bank Visa Check Card purchases:
- Use our free Online or Mobile Banking to track your purchases whenever it's convenient for you.2
- Track your purchases on your monthly checking account statement.
- Sign up for free account alerts.2 Alerts notify you by email or text when you’re about to exceed your checking and savings account limits, when you’ve made a deposit or withdrawal, or other account details you can choose.
*If you're not an Online Banking customer, you can enroll in Online Banking today.
How do I change my PIN?
You can change your PIN by logging into Online Banking, via the Mobile App, at a U.S. Bank ATM*, at
800-USBANKS* or visit any U.S. Bank branch.
*You will need your current PIN in order to complete your request so be sure to have it readily available before you change your PIN.
What if I forget my PIN?
If you forget your PIN, visit any U.S. Bank branch to reset your PIN or call us at 800-USBANKS to have your PIN mailed to you.
Still have questions? Give us a call - we’re available 24/7.